Saturday, August 20, 2011

Chasin' the Trane on Yonge Street

John Coltrane's "Blue Train"

Walking down Yonge Street yesterday, I heard from a distance someone on the saxophone. It didn't sound like a particular melody, just someone fiddling around with a lazy improvisation. It sounded good, and the tone was especially good.

I went into the Bay to check for Lancome's latest perfume O de L'Orangerie, and was out in about fifteen minutes (the perfume is not yet here in Canada). The saxophonist was still playing his amorphous piece. I went around the corner, following the sound, and found a young man, standing against the wall, playing on his saxophone.

I interrupted him and told him he had really good tone.

"Thank you."

"Are you Canadian?" I asked him next.

A slight pause: "Are you?" asks this blond-haired, blue-eyed young man, (I thought he might be Polish).

I laughed, and said I detected a slight accent, and yes, I am Canadian.

"I'm from Burlington [a Toronto suburb]."

"Oh, a Burlington accent."

Then I asked him if he knew any Coltrane.

"This?" he asked. And proceeded to play Blue Train.

"Yes. Great." I did a thumbs up, and walked away. I didn't want to stand there listening for every note. The piece is difficult, and I wasn't sure how this young (Yonge) street saxophonist would work out the improvised parts.

I could still hear the music a few blocks up. He was doing a good job.