Monday, October 17, 2005

Zadie Smith's "On Beauty"

Lack of Beauty

I was immediately struck by Zadie Smith’s latest title “On Beauty”. I am always trying to find ways to describe, understand and study beauty, at least in art.

I must admit that I skipped everything except where Rembrandt was mentioned. And promptly returned the book (although it was never initially my intention) to the bookstore.

Most critics of Smith’s books (“White Teeth” and "On Beauty") talk of her factual inaccuracies.


But what struck me most about "On Beauty" was its inaccuracy starting even with the title. This is evident from the main protagonist, art history professor Howard Belsey, who is writing (or unable to finish writing) a book on Rembrandt called “Against Rembrandt”.

A book 'on beauty' whose main protagonist (and mouthpiece) hates Rembrandt!

Ultimately, I sensed that Zadie Smith is unable to discuss beauty. Along with a lack of real knowledge on the subject, and on Rembrandt, she has no sensitivity toward beauty. In fact, overall, she seems rather anti-beauty. Just like the anti-Rembrandt Howard.

I think this is the danger of this post-modern world. This multicultural world (from which Smith as evidenced in her novel “White Teeth” hails.) She personifies exactly the type of writers or artists who don’t want to spend the time doing the serious work, but would rather land on an interesting idea, only to show how much they really don’t know.

And even more dangerous, how much they discredit centuries of learning and tradition with a careless sweep of the pen (or brush).