Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Ingrid Mattson

Portrait of a convert



My article, "Ingrid Mattson: Portrait of a Convert" wasn't picked up either by American Thinker or Chronwatch. I believe they found it too personal (focusing on one person alone) and unsubstantiated.

But almost all the quotes and "speculations" I made were based on Mattson's writings, direct quotes of hers and interviews from television or radio shows. I write about Mattson's personality and characteristics, how I believe she went from a devout Catholic girl to a non-believer at age fifteen, and then to a Muslim only a few years later at 23. I think personal portraits are one important way we can know about decisions people make, especially someone as prominent as Mattson.

I tied it all up with her fine arts background, how she used images to try and find God, and finally renounced these images to uphold Islam. Her journey is peculiar and interesting.

In any case, I've filed it under my articles archive, and is here.

I'd blogged about her in Our Changing Landscape.