Friday, March 25, 2011

White Diamonds "still the best-selling celebrity fragrance of all time."

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

Elizabeth Taylor's perfume White Diamonds (which I describe here) is: "still the best-selling celebrity fragrance of all time - 20 years after it first launched" according to this article.  I do praise Sarah Jessica Parker's foray into perfumery, but my independent investigation, which involves asking sympathetic perfume ladies in department stores to give me samples, shows that Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez have nothing on Elizabeth Taylor. Their concoctions are timid and diluted, almost soap-like. Taylor went for the full perfume. One shop assistant described hers as an "old time" perfume when scents were concentrated and strong. But, that makes them sound like some kind of detergent. As Taylor said about creating her last perfume Violet Eyes:
"I love fragrances, and wanted Violet Eyes to make women feel beautiful, sophisticated and sensual. It was a great joy to create Violet Eyes with a bouquet of fragrance notes that I adore, carefully fine tuning every aspect of it."