Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Presence of God

[A post written on April 10, 2009]
Stained glass showing the martyrdom of
Thomas Becket in Canterbury Cathedral

As I was going past St. James Cathedral to attend the Good Friday service (it was at 2:00pm, and I went late thinking it was the regular Evensong time of 4:30), I was thinking, "What a waste of a beautiful, historical building."

Why a waste?

Some dioceses from the Anglican Church of Canada have joined the recently formed Anglican Church of North America, protesting the loss of traditionalism in the original church, including its stance on homosexual marriage and the ordination of homosexual priests.

St. James Cathedral is not part of that protest, and continues to maintain those non-Christian beliefs.

I hardly ever go to services anymore, occasionally to evensongs, and more frequently to their first-class organ recitals on Tuesdays.

What a waste that such a magnificent building, with its stained glass windows and newly-restored organ, should be dedicated to a group of worshipers that are taking it down the heretical road.

When I was a young school girl in England, it was in the Anglican Church where I learned to appreciate, and love, the church liturgy. And the quiet and holy feeling of the church's interior with the subdued stained glasses whose stories I never tired to look up and contemplate.

It was there too where I learned of the beauty of English sacred music, which I think is superior to any. In fact, when the rest of Europe was busy inventing and composing opera, Queen Elizabeth I made sure that the church music never floundered, and in fact let it flourish.

There too, I learned to love this music, having been in choirs all through school (from 11 years on), and was awarded not one, but two, music prizes.

It deeply saddens me, therefore, that this great tradition is being stifled by heretics and blasphemers. And they don't give ordinary people like me a chance to wholeheartedly celebrate these most holy of days.

Perhaps that is why I went there late.

On a more positive note, the organist for recital for the March 31 Midday Series was Douglas Schalin, and his whole program consisted of music by John Stanley, specifically a selection of Stanley's Voluntaries for Organ.

The organ is a fascinating instrument. It can go from a the whimsy flute pipe (and a beguiling echo) to an awesome sound which evokes the presence of God.

These are the things that this blighted leadership is trying to destroy.

But through the grace of God.

Happy Easter to all.