Thursday, January 10, 2013

New York Skies


Someone asked me recently which city I prefer, Paris or New York.

I have lived in Paris from age nine to seventeen, when I went to the U.S. to attend college. I eventually got to know New York really well. Even though I have never lived in New York, I did spend long summer periods in the city, and my university in New Jersey was close enough that I would go into the city quite regularly for day trips.

I replied that despite the uncontested beauty of Paris, there is something grand, modern and dynamic about New York. I sacrilegiously said that Paris is "old fashioned."

I prefer New York.

Here is a funny, and very accurate, book Paris Versus New York, by Vahram Auratyan, an Armenian writer and graphic artist, who admits he is a lover of Paris, but nonetheless captures the spirit, humor and beauty of New York. One of my favorite sections is "Sous le ciel de Paris" vs. "New York October Sky." It is true that Paris has a lot of grey days (through fall, winter and spring). Early fall in New York can be magical. And winters, despite the cold, have many bright, sunny days, with a lighter, but still brilliant blue sky.