Monday, February 27, 2006

Beauty in the Worship of God

Herbert Howell's Like as the Hart

At yesterday's sermon, the priest talked about the necessity for beauty while worshipping. That beautiful images and music bring us closer to God, by elevating our senses to meet higher levels.

What was even more insightful is that such things as choral music, by their very repetitions and reworkings – allow us to contemplate God from so many angles and possibilities.

Here is an example of the Anthem the choir sang. Each line was repeated at least twice, by the sopranos, the tenors, sometimes both.


Like as the hart desireth the water brooks,
So longeth my soul after thee, O God.
My souls is athirst for God, yea, even for the living God:
When shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my meat day and night,
While they daily say unto me,where is now they God?