Thursday, September 25, 2008

Lake Huron

Rushes and Waves

Final version of "Lake Huron: Rushes and Waves"
[click here for larger version]


I made just a small adjustment to get to the final version. The smaller subset of rushes that are blowing diagonally were originally one rod-like piece facing the same direction. Although this had a good structure - a more bolder diagonal feel - I felt that the small cluster of rushes had a more natural look.

One of the important considerations behind repeat pattern design is to determine what is the predominant direction: horizontal, vertical or diagonal. This is a horizontal piece, with the bands of waves making that a clear distinction. But, to alleviate the monotony of lines going across horizontally, I introduced a small diagonal pull as well.

As with all the designs that I do, I try to get the images to help me with the repeat pattern. In this case, I decided that there was a wind that was blowing the rushes towards the left, giving me a way to exploit the diagonal movement.

And of course, waves are generally horizontal, across a long stretch of sea-scape making a horizontal direction the main focus of this design.

As I mentioned previously, this is a stylization from a photo of a view of Lake Huron.