Monday, September 7, 2009

Are You a Paul or a John Guy?

Or a Beatles or a Rolling Stones...

"English Tea," from Paul McCartney's 2005 album 
Chaos and Creation in the Backyard

I've always somewhat acknowledged that the Paul and John duo made the Beatles into a genius band. But, I've always liked Paul best.

Recently, I wrote a post on Paul's rise from the depths of his band Wings' mediocrity. I specifically reviewed Paul's 2005 album, Chaos and Creation in the Backyard, where I was surprised to find the Beatles style reawakened. Perhaps I made too rash a conclusion in defying what is commonly accepted about the brilliant Paul/John duo. But, Paul's witty and lyrical songs much later in his life somehow meant to me that he was the leader (please note that I didn't write genius) behind the duo.

I think that Paul's musicality was derailed by his over-possessive and omnipresent wife, as I wrote in my previous post. Paul seemed to have regained some of his Beatles greatness after her death (and during her illness with cancer, as I explain later on). Perhaps I'm still giving too much credit to Paul, and if John had outlived his own intrusive wife (or just lived longer), he might have improved on his disappointing solo years. But, I will continue to be biased and say that I doubt that John would have risen to these expectations.

"Little Willow" from Paul McCartney's 1997 album 
Flaming Pie

Paul's wife Linda was diagnosed with cancer in 1995. As harsh as this may seem, I think this left room for Paul to compose his songs undisturbed - hence the lovely "Little Willow" from his 1997 album Flaming Pie.

Here is an interesting, and eye-opening, discussion on the Paul/John duo and genius. When will we get a group now that could surprise us like the Beatles did, with fresh new takes on life? Such an absence is a heart-aching loss to humanity, I think.