Thursday, October 8, 2009

Two Mountain Ranges

In one trip

I made a mistake a couple of days ago when I said I traveled through the Adirondack mountains. I did travel through two mountain ranges, one was the Pocono, the other was the Allegheny, which is north of the Pocono, but south of the Adirondack, cutting through both Pennsylvania and New York State. The Adirondacks are much further up north New York State.

Here are maps of the mountain ranges, and one of my trip's route, which I've marked in red. I like looking at maps when I travel, it gives me a sense of a place - both orientation-wise and the geography around the place. I can also see cities and towns in relation to one another. Unfortunately, for this bus ride, I had no map, and was craning my neck to see signs of towns and cities as they passed by me.

The Pocono Mountains, and the Allegheny in Pennsylvania
[Click image to see larger map]

The Allegheny Plateau (or Mountains) in New York, and the Adirondacks
[Click image to see larger map]

Route from New York City to Toronto, stopping at Binghamton, Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo
[Click image to see larger map]