Monday, January 11, 2010

Alice in Wonderland for Childish Adults

Cannot live up to the original

Photo from Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland,
to be released in March 2010


Another movie I won't be watching anytime soon based on the trailer is Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. He has changed the original story to make Alice a nineteen-year-old who once again goes down the rabbit hole. He calls it "a sequel". I think he has simply sacrificed the original young girl’s story to write one for adults.

Photos and trailers of the movie show it to be oddly coloroless, with sepia tints, foggy greys and cold blues dominating. The characters look frighteningly distorted: the Red Queen (from Through the Looking Glass) has a huge head on a tiny body; the Mad Hatter has exaggerated eye makeup which really makes him look crazy rather than endearingly nutters; Tweedledee and Tweedledum (also from Through the Looking Glass) look like inflated midgets. Even where there is color, it is bland and diluted.

Well, without even seeing the film, I have already done a 140-word write up on it. Maybe I will just go and watch what Tim Burton has concocted, since I’m sure he will not match up to the original story of the lively, bossy young girl who tests her courage with the strange characters she meets in her adventure, and even befriends some of them.

Then, I can write a sharp and severe review of it, since I already know 1/5 of what I’m going to say.