Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Perfume Again

Left Top: New perfume by Jennifer
Left: Jennifer now
Right: Jennifer as Rachel in Friends with her season one hairstyle


In this day and age when anything to do with the feminine is scorned, and ugliness reigns over beauty, it is a small miracle to find feminine and beautiful (I'll settle for pretty) things.

Such is Jennifer Aniston's new(ish) perfume, which came out in 2010. It was originally called Lolavie, some silly made-up word that Jennifer said (thinks) is French for "loving life." I think I saw the perfume in a magazine ad, where there was nothing outstanding either about Jennifer (who is now sporting the mousy look, so different from her stylish persona in Friends), or the black and white ad. But, I went looking for it nonetheless.

The Bay, Canada's largest department store, opted out of signing the Canadian rights to exclusively sell the perfume. In fact, one arrogant and ignorant "shop attendant" insulted me by saying that it's a "drug store" scent. Of course, I responded that I could get him into trouble for talking to me, a potential customer, in that condescending manner.

I went to Sephora's, and it's there. The bottle is surprisingly attractive, and the scent is very good. Jennifer is now part of the celebrity perfume group which has launched successful, well-designed scents, which includes Sarah Jessica Parker and the first Queen of Celebrity Perfumes, Elizabeth Taylor.

Here are the notes for Lolavie Jennifer Aniston from Fragrantica:

Top: Citrus, Rose
Middle: Jasmine, Violet, Lily
Bottom: Musk, Sandalwood, Amber

All the elements are blended together really well, but the overall scent is light, musky and exotic.