Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Enter The Man

As the villain

My brother recently invited me to a theater production of "A Raisin in the Sun."

It is a compelling play that draws you into the various family members and their lives. About 2/3 of it was very engaging, and went very fast.

But, near the last third, I kept losing my concentration. As I told him later, "why did they bring on The Man as an antagonistic character?"

The Man (or the white man), trying to keep this black family away from his neighborhood and community, was seen as a villain by the family (of course) and also by the audience.

His only crime was to say to the black family: "We are a community of like-minded people. I know you won't fit in. Please don't try."

That 1959 story is really the story of America. And he was right, after all. I don't think there are any genuinely integrated communities in the US. And this is because whites and blacks prefer to live apart from each other.