Saturday, October 30, 2010

Cathedral Forest



Here are two almost identical shots of fall trees that I took in High Park, Toronto's largest park - which is more of a wood/forest - several years ago. I developed and printed them myself, and kept both as pieces with passing grades. It takes tens of trials to get the saturation and color level "just" right - often I have to come back another day in order to get a fresh perspective, and not continue printing without much of a difference.

I like the top photo because the "end" is clear - a burst of trees in focus with shimmering golden lights. The bottom one, in my view, shows a more elusive path. The trees in the back are slightly out of focus yet the glow of the light is more intense, which is what draws one further into the image.

In the top photograph, the path to the trees is less clear (not focused) while the bottom photograph has a clear path, also bathed with the light of the sun.

The photos were taken in late afternoon, when the light from the sun was muted.