Friday, October 29, 2010

Evolution of Design 6: Lake Huron


Lake Huron is part of the Great Lakes body of waters, which is both in Canada and in the U.S.



Below is my original post on the "evolution" of this design:
--------------------------------------------------------

Lake Huron: Rushes and Waves
Thursday, September 25, 2008

I made just a small adjustment to get to the final version. The smaller subset of rushes that are blowing diagonally were originally one rod-like piece facing the same direction. Although this had a good structure - a more bolder diagonal feel - I felt that the small cluster of rushes had a more natural look.

One of the important considerations behind repeat pattern design is to determine what is the predominant direction: horizontal, vertical or diagonal. This is a horizontal piece, with the bands of waves making that a clear distinction. But, to alleviate the monotony of lines going across horizontally, I introduced a small diagonal pull as well.

As with all the designs that I do, I try to get the images to help me with the repeat pattern. In this case, I decided that there was a wind that was blowing the rushes towards the left, giving me a way to exploit the diagonal movement.

And of course, waves are generally horizontal, across a long stretch of sea-scape making a horizontal direction the main focus of this design.

As I mentioned previously, this is a stylization from a photo of a view of Lake Huron.


Other posts on the Great Lakes:

- Water, water everywhere

- Georgian Bay: Geography, History and Aura
(This is the second post I did on Camera Lucida, in 2005)

----------------------------------
Evolution of Design 1: Dove and Dog Rose
Evolution of Design 2: Trillium and Queen Anne's Lace
Evolution of Design 3: Hosta Leaf
Evolution of Design 4: Toronto  Gables
Evolution of Design 4: Toronto  Gables
Evolution of Design 5: Allan Gardens Conservatory