Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Evolution of Design 1: Dove and Dog rose


I started by drawing the dog rose (it is really a watercolor). Then a few months later, I found an image of a dove that I really liked, and I drew it in pastels. Since I work most of my images into some kind of design, the final product is a repeat pattern of the dog rose as a background to the doves sitting on a branch surrounded by leaves.

The idea really came from art deco designer Charles Voysey, who has done many pieces with flowers and birds (the previous link is to Voysey's collection at the Victoria and Albert Museum, and includes textiles, wallpapers, and furniture). He was a contemporary of William Morris and the Arts and Crafts movement.

Here is his "The Columba" from the Victoria and Albert Museum collection.