Sunday, July 24, 2011

Quick Exit Back: Clarification

In my previous post, Quick Exit Back, I wrote:
If I were them [the two well-dressed Indian men], I would make a quick exit back to India, or wherever they came from. If this is the outcome of a Canadian residency, an unkempt (unclean?), badly dressed, former countryman, then who wants to stay in Canada?
I should clarify that I was trying to think like the two men being verbally attacked by the third. It is not Canada that failed this man, but that he was unable to rise to the (his, too) expectations.

I think that immigrants to Canada now have little incentive to integrate with the mainstream culture, a mainstream that is increasingly being pushed aside and is being replaced by multiculturalism. And thanks to multiculturalism, immigrants now are essentially living lives very similar to the ones they left behind, from the food they eat, the people they associate with, the language they speak, etc. They are even importing their problems with them, including the inferior life styles they complained about in their countries of origin. I think we'll be seeing more immigrants like the "expert on Canada" I described in my previous blog.

A quick exit back would actually do them good. I'm advocating these days that even the second and third generation immigrants I wrote about in my previous blog return to their countries of origin, partly to ease their unarticulated discontent at living in Canada (even second and third generation immigrants are talking of "racism" and a general malaise about living in Canada), and also to work and live contentedly, making positive contributions to those countries they never tire of talking about.

And in fact, there is some kind of "movement back" by Ethiopian diaspora in America. I haven't seen this yet here in Canada.