Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What do you do with a face like Bodhi?

----------------------------------------------------------- Holy Bodhi!

These aren't Bodhi, but they're like the dog I pass by almost daily who likes to sit on a cold granite bench by my supermarket, and whom I've now befriended.

The first time I saw him there I asked the owner what his name was.

"Brody."

"Hi, Brody!"

"No, no. Not Brody. B-o-d-h-i. It's a kind of a Buddha."

" Oh, OK. Hi, Bodhi!"

Then I went home and looked up "Bodhi."

"He looks like a Bodhi" I told his owner the next time I saw them.

Here's Wikipedia on Bodhi (more at the link for those who wish for more enlightenment):
Those who obtained the enlightenment by following teachings of the Samma-Sambuddha are obtained enlightenment through Savaka-Bhodhi. This is the easiest way to get enlightenment. They have to do concentrated meditation (Bhavana) to develop Samadhi(Samatha meditation). Then with developed mind they have to think about Three marks of existence (Samsara) which is Anicca, Dukkha and Anatta.( Vipassanā meditation). Doing this with big effort they will understand Four Noble Truths clearly. So they will attain Nirvana(get enlightenment).
"Hi Bodhi," I now say whenever I pass by him. And Bodhi gives me a veritable greeting, getting up from his slouch, shaking whatever tail he doesn't have, and putting on a wide dog-grin on his sad face (his owner's description - "he always looks sad."). Then I stroke his giant head, which he offers with a gentle drop, say goodbye and walk on. Once he even offered me his paw, and not having the smarts of a dog, his owner had to tell me that I was being asked for a handshake. I obliged, charmed at this unexpected request.

The other day, he looked especially alert with a twinkle in his eyes, and I asked his owner if he had been cooped in all day, and was happy to be out. I think he was just pleased to see me, his visitor by his concrete throne, who strokes his head and says, "Hi Bodhi!"