Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Freaky Chaz Bono kicked off Dancing With The Stars

Hope Solo, the athlete-turned-dancer

I don't mean this blog to be a Dancing With The Stars news feed, but ever since I heard that the transexual/transgendered/lesbian/freak Chaz Bono was going to be on the show, I've waited for it to be eliminated. I think the audience freak factor votes kept it going for this many weeks, but FINALLY, IT'S GONE! But of course, this boot off the floor became the perfect moment for Bono to make a pitch. "I wanted to show America a different kind of man." was its exit line.

Now I can watch with admiration the truly talented professional dancers, and the long and arduous training the stars endure, making those that get to the top five almost on a par with their teachers/dance partners.

Of course, some professionals are better than others, but Lacey Schwimmer (who regularly dances with her brother Benji), Chelsea Hightower, Julianne Hough (who's brother - DWTS is a family affair - I wrote is a modern version of Fred Astaire) and Kym Johnson are really great dancers (links are to videos). Their graceful waltzes and energetic quicksteps bring ballroom dance to its artistically beautiful level. Some dances are a little racy, and some of the costumes a little too revealing, but this is television (and showbiz).

Now that I've watched the show for so long, I'm getting better at comparing the good dance moves (and the good dancers) with those that somehow wing it. I don't know how this "professional" has made it on the roster for all these seasons.

According to this "judge" it is Hope Solo who dances like a man. I disagree. Admittedly, Hope has stronger muscles than the other women, she is after all an athlete, but she looks pretty and feminine on DWTS, and she's nothing like Bono, who receives accolades from this judge despite ending up at the bottom almost every week. It is, of course, the usual politically correct, pseudo solidarity with the different, "a different kind of man." To judge the Bono's creepiness would be to discriminate. And we just can't do that, can we?