Monday, October 10, 2011

Style in New York - Part II

Below are screen shots of a building in New York, where Sandra Bullock's character from Two Weeks Notice (which I've discussed in this post) goes to have an interview after quitting the demanding job of assistant-to-the-lawyer/secretary/wife-in role-only/nanny to Hugh Grant's character.

The building has a beautiful stained-glass ceiling, which the camera briefly twirls around as it follows Bullock and the lawyer who interviewed her come down the staircase. On the wall behind the banister are three imposing portraits of what look like Lowell, Hanes and Richards, names which are inscribed on tasteful steel in very large lettering below the portraits. These stern gentlemen quite likely run the firm, or are its founders, or are involved with some important contribution.

The whole film was shot in New York, at the urgings of Bullock:
Shortly after the events of September 11th, Sandra Bullock, also the film's producer, urged that the film be shot entirely in New York to marshal support for the City and its production industry. No online "film location" website could give me any information on the building.
I've tried looking online for the building with these stained-glass ceilings, but I've had no luck so far. The film credits don't mention them, and other sources lead me to Grant's law firm building (Lucent Technologies building), and the Sky Studio in Greenwich Village which serves as the hotel in which Grant lives ("I own the hotel, and I live there. My life is very much like Monopoly." - I thought this was another funny line in the frequently funny movie, since surely jail must be one of the possibilities of his life of monopoly), but not to this particular building.

I bought the DVD (yes, that's how much I liked it, plus it was on sale), and have made screen shots of the stained-glass ceiling, which I've posted below.

The film is worth renting/buying. It has some good shots of New York, and Bullock and Grant are witty personalities, who are both very good actors. And as I've mentioned before, there are also some unexpectedly lovely scenes.





[Images are screen shots from the film Two Weeks Notice]