Wednesday, December 14, 2011

New York and More

I took my trusted camera to a trip to New York City this past week-end (plus a couple more days), and shot the following photographs of facades of buildings across from Central Park, mostly along Fifth Avenue between 103rd and 96th streets. My camera's battery failed (or more like, I neglected to charge the batteries - my camera and its accessories never fail!), so I was able to take only these few photos of the countless (beautiful) buildings along the park from 103rd and beyond. I walked as far as 34th Street, to Macy's.

I also photographed a statue of DeWitt Clinton at the Museum of the City of New York (which I planned to visit, but which had a school group in for the morning, and was thus "closed").

DeWitt Clinton at the Museum of the City of New York


-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Facades of buildings between 103rd and 96th streets





At Macy's, I looked for the new Chanel perfume Jersey, but the shop assistant told me to go to Saks, but I passed Saks (on 44th) - the sidewalks around that area were very crowded. I continued walking up Fifth, and peeked at the Christmas tree, the angels and the skaters at the Rockefeller Center. I then walked up Madison Avenue, which I think has better boutiques than Fifth. I was pretty tired around 70th Street (despite a soft pretzel from the park, and a "mixed veggie" pizza from a takeout), and I took a bus back up to 106th, where I was staying.

Along the park, there are vendors selling paintings, mostly of New York. I found one who was selling black and white photographs (printed as postcards) of early New York. I found them on-line:

- Flatiron Building, 1907
- Looking Northwest toward Skyscrapers on East 42nd Street, 1930

[Photos by KPA]