Friday, December 23, 2011

Of Skyscrapers and Castles

[Larger image of NYC skyline here and of Eilean Donan castle here]

The skyscrapers shot comes from a photography blog NYC Daily Pictures, and the castle is from my surf around the web.

The castle is from the Scottish island of Eilean Donan (which means Island of Donan, after a 5th century saint, more interesting information here). I found its austere surroundings, with the mountains in the background, very beautiful. These are the kinds of images of Scotland which have always influenced my wanting to travel to there, which I haven't done yet.

Tall and imposing buildings are not just a modern feat. I am always surprised at the complex and intricate cathedrals that were built throughout Europe.

Although New York is known as the city of smooth glass skyscrapers, there are a surprising number of buildings that have intricate decorations (I've tried to capture a few here) and especially of art deco, as well as many low-rise (three or four floors) buildings.