Thursday, June 14, 2012

On My Way to the Waterfront

I didn't know how to put these unrelated photos (below) in one posting, but they are really connected through the thread of my walk down York Street, all the way to the lake shore.

I planned to do two things during this walk. One was to walk down to the waterfront and take early summer photos of the lake. The water is not the usual hazy pale blue, which is the color it gets later in the summer when the lake has warmed up, but a colder, darker blue with plenty of waves.

The second plan was to keep walking back up to the Art Gallery of Ontario, which is a little further north (and west) to see the Picasso exhibition, for which I had bought a half price ticket (at $12.50, it is a bargain), and also to visit the gallery's permanent collections during the Wednesday nights free entry (from 6pm-8:30pm). I reckoned I would rush through Picasso in half an hour and go to the various permanent collection galleries until the gallery closed. Which is exactly what I did. I will write about both of these visits soon (but Picasso's will be brief, as you can see I am NO fan, but I had to see this "event" in Toronto considering I have an art blog).

In the meantime, below are some photos I took on my way down (with a couple of detours here and there).

York Street at Adelaide, a few short blocks north of the lake shore

A woman stopped to ask me what I saw. I said I liked the layers of highrises, with the interesting ogee point of the Trump Tower, the red facade of the Scotia Bank building and the triangular indentation in a darker color, and the exotic top of the Lombard Place building (in front of the Trump Tower and the Scotia building).

Union Station at Front Street

I've blogged about Union Station here, including posting photos of its interior. This sprawling building, built when rail travel was a grand affair and train stations were grand buildings, is right by an unattractive highway exit.

Lake Ontario Buoy Ring

[Photos by KPA]