Sunday, June 17, 2012

Post-Modernism Can Be Defeated!

A couple of days ago, I posted a photo of some highrise buildings from near the lakeshore. I identified one building as the Lombard Place. I went back again to have a closer look. I took shots of the interior of the building, which has an Art Deco feel. The building was actually completed in 1962, and functions as an office. Its architects, Bergman and Hamann, have a prolific portfolio around Toronto, including the Toronto Dominion Centre, which was a collaboration with Mies Van der Rohe, and the Eaton Centre, which was recently in the news.

I can't find anything on the interior ground floor ceiling, but it seems to be part of the original design.

Tall, lifeless glass buildings do not have to be part of a city's highrise cityscape. Ingenious designers can produce interesting buildings, as part of a city's cluster of buildings, and with interesting interiors. Post-modernism can be defeated!



[Photos by KPA]