Thursday, April 15, 2010

What Do Women Want?

For home decor?

Pottery Barn cushion collection:
Left: Brighton Pillow Cover, $39.00
Right: Allover Coral Embroidered Pillow Cover, $35.00


I went to the Pottery Barn the other day. I didn't mean to go, since I find their items too expensive. But, I happened to be walking by, and I was interested to see their spring/summer fabrics.

I wasn't too disappointed, at least in the color and pattern choices. There are a lot of large floral patterns, and some nice sea-themed designs like starfish and shells. The florals were impressive, but they looked like they were made from fabrics I could buy at the fabric store. Some of the starfish and seashell pieces were a little empty and colorless.

But, I think in general it is a successful collection. The most important thing being the bright, colorful and cheerful patterns. They were a little over-priced, especially since I could make a similar cushion for probably less than ten dollars (labor not included). But, for people who don't have time to run around looking for fabric and to sew, a couple of bright accessories for $70 may not be too bad.

At the end of the day, I think women want cheerful, colorful homes. Those monochromatic, minimalist years are over. Even fancy stores like the Pottery Barn have acquiesced.