Monday, April 12, 2010

What's Hair Got to Do with It?

The Governor General goes natural

I've always thought that the Governor General Michaelle Jean was erratic and a little unstable. She was at one time associated with Quebec separatism, admittedly while she was much younger. But, her inauguration speech didn't convince me she was totally all for Canada. And to make things worse, the coat of arms she chose is a hodge-podge of mostly voodoo symbols.

Prime Minister Harper is now looking for a replacement. I don't really know why he's doing that. Jean is very popular. I think people like the relaxed, party-like atmosphere she brings to the job, dancing and singing where she will, crying in public, her emotional "I love you" to the crowds she addresses. But, people forget that her position is a very important and formal one. She is the representative of the Queen. Perhaps Harper feels this way too. Or he wants his own government to appoint a Governor General - Jean stayed when Paul Martin left.

I have written about her in this article, so I won't go into too much detail, except to say: look at her new hairstyle.


I'm not sure what brought this on. Jean is a little erratic, as I've mentioned above. But, even if she were trying to go "native", this is bizarre. There are so many more beautiful options she could take, rather than this messy frizz.

How about braids? If Jean is so bent on going "natural" then why not go for the really exotic African braids that are neatly, perfectly and artistically done?


Cornrows from Sahan African Hair Braiding