Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas Windows

Christmas sparkles at the Bay department store window display
(Photo by KPA)

The Christmas tradition of decorating department store windows is now in full progress. The Bay department store has started its yearly display. I managed to photograph the above picture. But the crowd was more interested (as I was, but couldn't get through) in the mechanical shows of Christmas elves and perfect Victorian interiors with decked out Christmas trees, which were displayed in the windows around the corner.

The displays in the crowd-less side windows are nonetheless beautiful. The above window is adorned with shimmering glass Christmas trees surrounded by perfume flasks, gold jewelry and large sparkling crystals. The purple band running through the photo, and the purple tint on the silver candle sticks and the Christmas balls, are from external lights.

While walking along the displays, we are rewarded with Christmas carols from solid choirs - none of those pop star renditions. I asked a sales attendant if I could get the CD. I will try again when I can spare more time to meander through the maze of departments that might help me acquire their Christmas cheer.