Tuesday, June 14, 2011

"My Funny Valentine" for All Occasions

Frank Sinatra sings "My Funny Valentine"

I recently heard "My Funny Valentine" on one of those store muzak without the words, remembered some of the words, and searched for the song on-line.

Here's what I found about its origins:
"My Funny Valentine" is a show tune from the 1937 Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart musical Babes in Arms in which it was introduced by former child star Mitzi Green. After being recorded by Chet Baker, Frank Sinatra and Miles Davis, the song became a popular jazz standard, appearing on over 1300 albums performed by over 600 artists.

Babes in Arms opened at the Shubert Theatre on Broadway, in New York City on April 14, 1937 and ran for 289 performances.[1] In the original play, a character named Billie Smith (played by Mitzi Green) sings the song to Valentine "Val" LaMar (played by Ray Heatherton).[2] In the song, Billie pokes fun at some of Valentine's characteristics, but ultimately affirms that he makes her smile and that she doesn't want him to change.
The song was performed by male and female vocalists over the years. Looking at the lyrics, I think it could be sung by either a male or a female. But, I think a female rendition has just a little more authenticity. I somehow don't think romantic men would list these (minor) faults in the object of their desire. They are usually all gushy about her beauty and other wonderful attributes. Women might be a little more realistic about physical attributes (and even "smartness, perhaps preferring kindness).

Here are the lyrics. There is a longer version at the beginning which I've left out, since most of the interpretations use the shorter version. I've posted the beginning lyrics at the end of this post. Here are the commonly sang lyrics:
My funny valentine
Sweet comic valentine
You make me smile with my heart

You looks are laughable, unphotographable
Yet you're my favorite work of art

Is your figure less than Greek?
Is your mouth a little bit weak?
When you open it to speak, are you smart?

Don't change your hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little valentine stay.
Each day is valentine's day
Above, I've posted the video of my favorite version by Frank Sinatra, who sings it straight (and not too slow) in his inimitable, confident style.

The black jazz singers, Sarah Vaughan, Etta James, and both male and female, sing it with too much scatting (which I've complained about here about Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday singing "Am I Blue," although a young Ella Fitzgerald performs "My Funny Valentine" with restrained charm). The energetic Welshman Tom Jones, with the modernized instrumentals, gives it a rock vibe. A surprising actress-turned-singer is Michelle Pfeiffer (I've always liked her as an actress) sings it in her movie The Fabulous Baker Boys. Contemporary black singers perform it with too many riffs and improvisations (known as melisma [pdf article]), which overloads the melody. Linda Ronstadt, whom I never used to like, sings it with a pure voice. Melinda Doolittle, who was a highly placed contestant at American Idol a few years ago, imitates Anita Baker, who I think performs it much better. Melinda overdoes the improvisational melisma and overloads the melody with too many notes, to the detriment of the song. This is common among black singers today.

There are a couple of non-vocal versions, including Miles Davis on his haunting trumpet (whom Sting- formerly of the band the Police - does a great job of channeling). Chet Baker also performs it on his trumpet, although I haven't listed his version, since he drags his melodies so much that it is hard to sit patiently through them.

Below is the list of singers who've also attempted the song (I've linked to their Youtube or other audio performances):

- Frank Sinatra - in his inimitable, powerful, confident voice
- Ella Fitzgerald - in her younger days, sings it surprisingly straight
- Miles Davis - on his haunting trumpet
- Tom Jones - gives it a strong rhythmic, R&B flavor
- Linda Ronstadt - sings the complete version
- Michelle Pfeiffer - who has a good voice, considering we know her almost exclusively as an actress (she sang this in The Fabulous Baker Boys). Diane Lane was another actress who surprised me with her singing in The Cotton Club.
- Sting on the trumpet. He says it is a tribute to Miles Davis. Another surprise like the actor Richard Gere playing a good trumpet solo in The Cotton Club. Sting sings (less charmingly) before he starts playing.
- Anita Baker, who unlike many of the black pop singers, gives it a jazzy/bluesy flavor
- Melinda Doolittle, a long-gone American Idol finalist (she sang this on the show), who seemed to be channeling Anita Baker.

Here are the beginning lyrics, which many singers left out:

Be hold the way our fine feathered friend
His virtue doth parade
Thou knowest not my dim witted friend
The picture Thou hast made
Thy vacant brow and Thy tousled hair
Conceal Thy good intent
Thou noble upright, truthful, sincere
And slightly dopey gent