Friday, June 10, 2011

Iris Grid

Iris Grid
[Photo by KPA]

Here is another in my (developing) series of flowers growing in nondescript corners. This bunch of iris is next to the downtown Metro supermarket. I would have thought the "gardener" would have filled the whole length of the brick wall with these purple wonders, but this is the only bunch there. It still brightens the day to walk by them.

One of the "dairy products" servers was sitting in the sun a few feet away from the wall, and I said how lucky he is to have them there. He hadn't noticed them, and thanked me for pointing them out.

The leaves in front of the iris are variations of the "common" hosta plant, which held my attention long enough that I tried to produce a small watercolor version of a leaf a couple of years ago.

Hosta Leaf
[Watercolor by KPA]