Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Once a Marxist...

Cross similar to the one the woman
described in this blog was wearing


One of the women at my job is a Ukrainian immigrant (I thought she was Russian from her accent). Yesterday, she was wearing a crystal cross, and I asked her if that is how they make Orthodox crosses in her country. She replied that the cross was just "for fashion." I thought she was being polite, in this multi-culti poisoned atmosphere of Toronto. I said that I was brought up Orthodox too, not Muslim as many people think I am, and she didn't have to worry that I would take insult. And that I read somewhere that Russians were going back to their religious roots, since Communism hasn't helped anyone.

She was dead serious about the cross being "for fashion." She proceeded to say that she never goes to church, and that she doesn't believe in God.

So this is the spawn of Communist Soviet Union. Communism destroyed the traditional life and religion of Russians and the other countries it subjugated but gave this woman nothing as replacement. I suppose nothing can really be formed out of emptiness, and only leads to the emptiness that this woman displayed to me. She has come to the perfect place: multicultural Toronto, where all cultures are equal, but anything to do with God and tradition is akin to sin. We are all equal in our emptiness.

Still, she has a choice. The fact that she so vehemently denied her religious and cultural background, as though I had touched a sacred taboo, indicates to me that somewhere in her thoughts she must think God and religion are valid. And her guilty expression after our conversation (it looked like that to me) shows me that she takes her religious denials seriously.

It was a strange, surreal episode. I thought evil was easily recognizable, or at least when recognized for the destruction it has wrought, people would fight against it. But that isn't the case with this woman.