Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Women of the Cross


I've had two interactions with women bearing (wearing) large and distinct crosses. The first one was on a manager at Laura's, who told me she was wearing it as a fashion statement.

The other one was on a manager at the Art Gallery of Ontario, who made my simple refusal to give out personal information (name and address) at the purchase of a ticket into some gargantuan problem.

I wonder what this means, in my small world, and, if I may pompously add, in the bigger picture of crosses, religion and Christianity?

I wrote a few weeks ago about a family wedding to which I was invited, and which I declined, where the wedding was to take place with no Christian religious ceremony. Yet, the couple chose an important (quasi-religious) holiday - the Canadian Thanksgiving - to "celebrate" their day.

I think people cannot do without some form of higher, transcendental order. Some will wear the only religious symbols they know, but give them different, or non-Christian significance. Others will be enticed by religious rituals and ceremonies, but restructure them to suit their requirements.

As with the "Wish Tree" which resplendently sits in the Eaton Centre, Christian symbols are around, but they are not used in their true sense.

I think it a sign, which we have to pay attention to. Idolatry is an integral part of our culture now.

We have to stay strong, and faithful. I think the Armageddon is not far ahead.