Thursday, May 17, 2012

Carla Is Not Making Any AlliesWhile Valérie Is Not Watching Her Dress


With a husband who lost his presidency bid, one would think that Carla Bruni would try hard to give him (and her) a good exit name and image.

I wasn't the only one to notice (and comment on) Bruni's shabby outfit at Hollande's inauguration, and the possible reasons behind Bruni's appearance. Here's what Tiberge, the blogger with a wealth of information on all things French, wrote:
But what a surprise to see Carla Bruni-Sarkozy dressed so badly! She was always elegant, whatever one thought of her. Here she looks so bad, it can only have been deliberate, as a slap in the face to those who she feels betrayed her husband.
I wrote in my blog:
I think her appearance, both physical and sartorial, is an affront at the new Prime Minister of France, as though she is waging a battle against him and his wife.
Tiberge also posts the dress that Mme la Présidente is wearing to the inauguration.

Actually, the split/slit didn't bother me too much. I think it was a sartorial mistake, possibly a missing or loose button. It seems absurd that Trierweiler would ruin a decent looking outfit with a slitty/slutty gap. Plus, the slit is just too high up to be a deliberate cut of the dress.

Bruni's odd appearance is far stranger. But, it isn't the first time I've critiqued Bruni's dress. Here, I am surprised that the then leading lady of France would not show off the beautiful French designs, and instead opted for an ill-fitting ensemble.