Thursday, June 4, 2009

Calling the Bluff of "Conservative" writers

They have no desire to cure their anger

As I read the conservative commentators over the past few months, one thing I notice is that their ire with Obama gets more high-pitched by the day.

I don't know why they're spending their energy this way. Obama has consistently acted in ire-inducing ways, and gave us a sample of this even before he became president. Some incidents include:

- His church and Jeremiah Wright
- His grandmother
- His reaction on blacks and crime 
- His silence after his wife’s atrocious words

And after his election, it just continued to spiral, or at least continue in the same direction.

There is just too much anger going on in conservative writing in general. An anger that allows them to wax eloquent. 

In other words (pun intended), all those angry words the angry conservatives wrote have added up to zilch. I maintain that much of conservative writing (although it must be writing in general) is a kind of vanity. Look how angrily I write. How eloquently, how wittily, how profoundly I can write. What a tool for my writing my anger is.

I'm saying all this after an interesting interaction with David Yeagley's blog, who like all the rest, uses this anger as his crutch.

The discussion there was about the female non-liberal writers (I don't even know what to call them) [1, 2, 3], who have offered us reams of their indignations. And what are we left with? A mediocre president, who bustles around the world and around the country as he pleases. Who ignites the anger of these writers! How convenient.

My solution to their anger, which of course they would never want to let go of, is:

At the moment of the Hussein debacles, the Wright atrocities, the insult on whites, the demeaning of the grandmother, Michelle’s horrific words, writers should have just left their comfortable desks and high speed internets to do some...ground work.

- Have people sign petitions
- Do marches around D.C.
- Sit in hunger strikes
- Overtake radio stations
- Get arrested for civil disobedience
- Team up with the Minute Men
- Go to the heartland and learn to shoot
- Build an army of the unemployed (victims of out-sourcing) of Ohio

DO something about this candidate, and now president, who flames their indignation so (too) easily.

But no. If I were a psychoanalyst, I would have concluded that these writers didn’t want to lose their anger. They didn’t want things to change. I would have called their bluff.

Often writers are scorned for having no effect. There is nothing truer than that at this point.