Sunday, May 15, 2011

Camera in Hand: Part I - Brookfield Place

Brookfield Place, Toronto [Photo collage by KPA]

Yesterday was a rainy day. The weather girl described it as "light rain," but it was an irritating, incessant sprinkling of hard rain drops for which I had to carry an umbrella. I went out with my camera all the same, figuring out where I would go once outside.

Then I remembered the lovely BCE (Bell Canada Enterprises) Place which is an indoor structure incorporating outdoor elements, and has a huge internal archway, six stories high, made of glass and white steel. I walked (for a good forty-five minutes) to get there, down Yonge street. I got a little lost, and had to ask for directions.

The photos (which I've assembled in a collage above) are of BCE Place, now called Brookfield Place, "after a holding house" as a bakery owner told me, which means it is part of a real-estate conglomerate. The internal archway is named the Allen Lambert Galleria, and was designed by the Brazilian architect Santiago Calatrava. The stone building facade is of the 19th century Merchants' Bank, which was dismantled from another site and relocated into the Galleria. The place was quiet for a Saturday, which reflects the week-end shut-down of the area's banking district. But it was great for taking pictures.