Saturday, September 29, 2012

Synchronicity of Blogging

Prophet, 1912
Emil Nolde
Image from my blog post:
"Who will wipe this blood off us?"
Lawrence Auster at the View From the Right (VFR) has a post on Randians, which eventually attracts comments on Christianity by a correspondent, who writes:
We should not overlook Christianity's contribution to this error [the error being that "the individual has special purpose."]
Larry Auster says this in his reply:
As I once half-jockingly said, Christianity because of its doctrinal and liturgical complexity, and the difficulty of maintaining a society based on it, and, most of all, its tendency to be derailed into gnostic belief systems such as liberalism, Randianism, and Communism, is, though no one realizes it, the fulfillment of the call of Nietzsche (the ultimate anti-Christian) to "live dangerously." To be a traditional Western man is to live dangerously. There is no escape from this.
I had a similar idea in my post today, where I wrote:
...further study of even these "rules" [such as the Ten Commandments] unravels their complexity.
I am reading C. S. Lewis's Mere Christianity. In the preface Lewis writes:
There are some [questions at issue to] which I may never know the answer: if I asked them, even in a better world, I might (for all I know) be answered as a far greater questioner was answered: "What is that to thee? Follow thou Me." (Mere Christianity, p. ix)
Read the rest of the VFR discussions here and here.