Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Patterns and Cuts We Have to Make Do With


In my post on the polka dot/striped dress painting by the nineteenth century French painter Albert Bartholomé, worn by his wife, I point out that the dress pattern is well organized and planned, producing an attractive and interesting garment.

I later compare the superior pattern design from Bartholomé dress with mediocre contemporary polka dot and striped patterns, both from high end designer labels, and ordinary dresses worn by ordinary women. I title my post: Contemporary Polka Dots and Stripes Hardly Make the Grade.

Well, the dress cut from the nineteenth century example is also far superior to the cuts we have to put up with in our era. Even the thousands-of-dollars worth designer samples don't compare with Mrs. Albert Bartholomé's dress.