Sunday, December 6, 2009

OK, I Understand

Our Girls

Lloyd Marcus over at American Thinker, who signs off as (black) Unhyphenated American, has written a heart-felt ode to conservative women.

He rewrote the words to the Temptations' song "My Girl" and changed the title to "Our Girls." Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, Laura Ingraham and of course Sarah Palin feature in his song. It is cute and sincere. I think is an American tradition to have such "gung-ho" women, in the mold of Annie Oakely of "Annie get her gun" fame, and many other brave and dare-devil women who are not afraid to shoot (words or bullets).

OK, I understand. 

Also, I doubt these same women would mind being called "Our girls." Ideologically leftist women are often die-hard feminists, and would never acquiesce to being mere "girls." But Marcus's phrasing is part endearment, part admiration. It fits perfectly.

Here is the link to the savvy Marcus's version, which he cuts off before the end (the album is for sale. That is also the American spirit). And he has a very good voice too.

And here is the link to the Temptations' original "My Girl."

Why don't black Americans write and sing such lovely melodious songs anymore? Well, as usual, I have my own ideas about that, and will post about it sometime soon.