Saturday, February 11, 2012

Chinese Collars and All Things Dragon

Jason Wu, one of Michelle Obama's Asian Designer du Jour, is at the New York Fashion week (I've posted on NYFW here). His collection "reflected a growing personal interest in his Chinese roots" comments this article:
[H]is collection on day two of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week reflected a growing personal interest in his Chinese roots, with a touch of Marlene Dietrich in "Shanghai Express" thrown in for good measure.

He credited a voyage of discovery back to Asia with his father 18 months ago for stirring his imagination.

"I was born Chinese, but I had not been back in my country for so long," he told AFP backstage.

"My dad took me to see an exhibit on the Chinese Qing Dynasty warriors and I was so taken by the subject that I thought it was important for me to go back to my roots," he added.

The result: a collection that wraps up "my answer to what is Chinese."
Studs and Chinese military fashion for
Jason Wu's New York Fashion Week show


Wu may have been channeling his Chinese roots, but what he came up with are mediocre mixes which other (Western) designers have done with much more flair.

Below are examples of mandarin collars by fashion designers:

Top: Alexander McQueen, Yves St. Laurent
Middle: Oscar de la Renta, Marc Jacobs, Marchesa
Bottom: Yves St. Laurent, Yves St. Laurent, Louis Vuitton


New York Fashion Week also brings out the fashionistas. Here are some Street Style Stars.

Here's one channeling her inner dragon something: