Saturday, February 18, 2012

"Chink in the Armor"

[Photoshop by KPA]

I remember when newspaper headlines were fun to read. Those in charge of finding titles seemed to enjoy themselves, and had no pcpolice at their throats monitoring their words.

The New York Post has been my source on the recent New York Fashion Week, with great images and reports. I still go there to read the regular stories on fashion and entertainment, so I would have caught this headline anyway:

"ESPN apologizes for racist Lin headline"

I've been following Lin, somewhat, although I'm not really interested in basketball, and I don't think I've ever watched a full game. So I was curious what the "racist" headline would be. And here it is:

"Chink in the Armor."

I think this is funny.

It is perfect, in that it describes exactly what happened. A Chinese player (the only one, hence the chink) who is supposed to be the star player pulling the team (the armor) together, was found to be deficient, and became the liability.

On a more serious note, I don't understand the eulogies that go alongside Lin's name, as though he could do no wrong. He is only one, tall Chinese guy, after all.

And on yet another serious note, black basketball player who went to China found that the Chinese players had no politically correct sentiments when fending off aggressive blacks. Although it came as a shock to the black players, I don't really see anything redeemable for the Chinese either. I get the feeling that they can be as vicious as any black, and perhaps even more so.

I think that we should keep an eye out on the Chinese. My blog has been writing on that for a while now.