Saturday, March 17, 2012

221 Victoria Street

[Photo by KPA]

Here's a little gem of a building, in a side street, hardly visible. I noticed the gold sign, and went up closer and the doorway frame is in what looks like granite (I don't think it is marble).

I tried getting into the building. There was a pleasant couple coming out of the building, who seemed ready to let me in, but to save myself some time, I asked them if the building is as nice inside as it is outside. "Nothing special" said the woman. "Nothing spectacular" said the man, which I found more useful, since what he means is that it is nice enough, but not worth taking photos over (I told them that I was a designer, and I was carrying my camera).

I looked up "221 Victoria Street Toronto" in Google, and the businesses at this address look like they are gem appraisals, diamond merchants, and jewellery designers (Jewellers Vigilance Canada, E C Diamonds & Imports, Gems Appraisals, Mirage Creations, Goldmart Jewellery). I understand why they have to be discreet, yet at the same time, they have a building which lives up to their standards.

The building was also a night club in the 1950s, the Mercury Night Club, owned by three athletes, boxer Sammy Luftspring, football player Joe Krol, and baseball player Harry Eckler.

The street name and number sign has a retro, 1950s look, and I wonder if it is the original.

Below is the book cover of a biography on Sammy Luftspring, Call Me Sammy, released in 1975.

Book cover of Sammy Luftspring's 1975 book:
Call Me Sammy


Sammy Luftspring in 1931