Thursday, March 29, 2012

Just Me and You and Fido


It is for a good reason that I chose Fido as my cell phone plan. Actually, at the time I got it, there were very few cell phone services available in Canada, and this was touted as the best of the few. The many American services were unavailable in Canada at the time, for fear of them out-bidding the Canadian ones (so much for fair trade/free trade). Now that the market is inundated with them, Fido services are better, and cheaper. I had thought to change plans to something even more cheaper and better, but I'm glad I stayed loyal to my Fido.

The above photo is from Fido's online ad. These true Canadian canines are enjoying a toboggan ride, as only (Canadian) dogs can, all happily crammed on one long piece of wood.

On a serious note, cell phones have also brought out the worst in people. Every day, I hear one-sided, often very personal, conversations around me. And people hike up their voices when on cell phones. I think it is an ego thing: "Look at me! I'm having a conversation!" I also think that people get lost in their cocoon of them and the person on the other side, and the rest of the world doesn't exist. It is, of course, the continuing crassness of our world, and the gradual loss of civility. "No-one else matters but me!" say these modern narcissists. Sometimes I slow down to listen into these (boring) conversations. Some catch on and actually lower their voices. Others are just relentlessly oblivious.