Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Arrogant Aggression of Scruffy Jeans


Notice how the slip of the un-tucked shirt, slovenly and
deliberate, on the "modern" man on the left mimics the
neatly folded handkerchief whose tip is showing in the
breast pocket of the formally attired man on the right.

Slovenly may be an adjective I use, but to the man on
the left, it is his style.

These images are from the Daily Mail, which has an article
agreeing, somewhat, with my post, titled:
"How Britain has become a nation of scruff-bags"

The article's point, though, is that this scruffy look is harming
young men's careers, whereas I think that it is their style of
choice, and that is how they succeed in their own version
of the board room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This must be the only civilization in the history of our planet where men define their masculinity wearing scruffy pants. It looks, at first, quick glance, that men are abandoning fashion and "style," but they're not.

There is a very particular "look" to the scruffy jean ensemble: the un-tucked shirt; the "just so" length of the pants, which fold over sneakers and scrape the floor; those sneakers which are never dirty, but have a clean, almost brand new look; a (clean) sweater with the shirt hanging out from underneath; a loosely tied tie; a tote bag, or some "man" purse, as an accessory; probably some kind of twisted thread bracelet, or a copper or silver bangle, and a ring on one ear or some body piercing, all acting as jewellery; scruffy, over-grown hair; and a day-old beard, although clean-shaven is also acceptable. The clothes look clean and washed, and if they have a few rips or tears, they are part of the style.

The slouch, which looks, once again, casual and flexible, is the uniform posture from which these young men assess their surroundings, pretending to look nonthreatening, whereas they are observing closely to make the necessary moves (obvious or subtle) to maintain their stakeout.

I began noticing this look around town, and realized that it is a very cultivated look, and not at all spontaneous and nonchalant. The men sporting this look, usually in their early to late twenties, look like they spent some time putting it together, although with practice it probably doesn't take them too long.

I started looking at their expressions and behaviors, and I began noticing a self-centered narcissism emanating from them. For example, they are unlikely to cede (in a gentlemanly sort of way) the sidewalk to me, and expect me to walk a half a circle around them to avoid collision. Although these days, I just stop in my tracks and wait for them to make the adjustments. If they are with women, they walk very fast, oblivious (I think it's more that they're uncaring than not noticing) the extra fast pace the woman has to walk to keep up with them.

I wrote about this style and look here, on an ad for jeans in a down town store.

I wrote:
The guy [in the ad] looks arrogantly confident. In this world of gender equality, there is still a male swagger, and a female demureness (the woman is acting very demure). His uniform is skinny jeans and a long, disheveled shirt, untucked, and over some t-shirt. But he looks a little too aggressive, and possessive. Who would want that kind of a guy around? (That's the funny thing about this "girl power" era of ours, young women actually seem to find this obnoxious-looking male attractive).
This self-importance has reached a pinnacle of narcissism.

The man in the suit, bowler hat and cane is also aware of style and clothing, but he aims to look good to allow his masculinity to express itself. He isn't using his fashion and his appearance as some kind of war against the world (and against women beauty), but as a way to fit in the world, and to make it look civilized and stylish. At the same time, he is giving clear codes through this bold and well-defined attire that other men should aspire to a similar presence.

The 21st century young man, on the other hand, is not concerned about beauty or aesthetics, but about power and aggression. How aggressive is it to look the way he does? I personally find it threatening, since I don't know how to interact with such young men: should I be polite and pleasant, or curt and rude? How will they respond to my questions, for example, for direction? Will they help me if I drop my grocery bags, or have some unpleasant experience like a pickpocket rob me? Etc. Somehow, I think my interactions with them will be negative.